Robert McArthur received his PhD in psychopharmacology at the University of Leeds, UK and has had extensive experience in major international pharmaceutical companies. He began his career investigating the neurobiology of eating disorders for Beecham Pharmaceuticals and subsequently specialised in neurodegenerative disorders such as Alzheimer’s disease at SKB.
His work is associated with the discovery of and the development of reboxetine, cabergoline and . Following an appointment as Business Development manager for Porsolt, he led discovery project teams for the pharmacological treatment of Parkinson’s, depression, anxiety and cognitive impairments associated with neuropsychiatric disorders with Pharmacia and Pharmacia and Upjohn. After founding McArthur and Associates GmbH, he has contributed to the development of neuropsychiatric drugs through his work with small and large drug companies, examination of the translatability of neuropsychiatric research, and through evaluation of major research project grants offered by the European Union Commission.
- Special Volunteer and Consultant: Drug Design and Development Section, National Institute on Aging, US NIH
- Independent expert and evaluator: European Commission Research Proposals.
- Faculty Member: Section of Neuropharmacology and Psychopharmacology, F1000 Prime
- Scientific Advisor: Cerca Insights
- Editorial Board Member: Drugs of the Future, Thomson-Reuters
- CNS Section Editor: Current Opinion in Investigational Drugs, Thomson-Reuters
- Head of Behavioural Pharmacology: Pharmacia, Pharmacia and Upjohn, Farmitalia Carlo Erba
- Business Development Manager: I.T.E.M. Labo
- Senior Research Officer: SmithKline Beecham/Beecham Pharmaceuticals